I’ve shared my morning routine on the blog repeatedly. It’s great because I’ve gotten to see it evolve with each of the stages of life that I’ve been in.
I first shared my Morning Routine in April 2015, back when I was still in college. I’m impressed that I was eating two breakfasts, even then. I didn’t remember that detail (one of the reasons having these posts to look back on is SO cool). The highlights:
- I still don’t drink coffee
- I still eat two breakfasts
- I now avoid emails in the morning
- I still try to get my morning workouts in.
This was my first post-college morning routine. At the time, I was still getting settled into my new home and new job in Baltimore. The highlights:
- I am very dependent on my alarm clock now.
- I definitely do not run a mile.
My next post-college morning routine! By this point, I had already pushed my workouts further back from just the quarter later and I had reverted back to my dependency on my alarm clock with many, many alarms. That sounds much more like me.
- I don’t work out alone anymore.
- I don’t work out with the TV on anymore.
- I still try to make eating in the morning a priority.
It was a whole year before I updated my morning routine again.
- I am still doing Crossfit!
- I no longer cook in the mornings
Those bring us to where I am today.
[table caption=”August 2017″ colalign=”center”]
4:45 AM, First alarm goes off – radio comes on
4:50 AM, Second alarm goes of – I get up and go to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth
5 AM, Final alarm goes off – I pop into the kitchen and make my morning Spark and whatever I’m going to eat
5:10 AM, I leave the house for the gym
5:30 AM-6:40 AM, Crossfit Raeford – Drive home
7 AM, Get home- Eat – Shower – Get ready
7:30 AM, Read
8 AM, Final touches on getting ready – Make sure lunches are packed
8:10 AM, Leave the house for my coworking space
8:40 AM, Arrive to coworking space
8:45 AM, Start working for the day
- I’m waking up earlier than ever before.
- I’m going to an earlier class at work.
- I added a commute back into my schedule by joining a coworking space.
- I no longer cook or prepare food in the mornings. I usually eat something that is made from powder or oats.
- I still don’t drink coffee but I now drink Spark and Zest Tea in the mornings
- I don’t have to worry about programming since I’ve been going to a Crossfit gym and I love it.
- If I don’t go to the gym, I generally spend that extra hour writing or I start work earlier. I always try to start work before 9 AM.
Anything about my morning routine jump out to you? Anything you’d suggest?
Emilie is an Army Wife, Data Engineer, and CrossFitter with a love for working through her thoughts in this space on the internet. She lives with her husband Casey and their pup Bo in Savannah, GA.